Monday, January 2, 2012

Relationship Status: It's Complicated

Running and I have never had an easy relationship.    

I started running when I was a teenager but quit in my early 20s. I started running again in my late 20s but barely ran at all for a whole year.  

I am not fast. In fact, you could probably lap me if we were on a running track. Or your toddler could.  

I live in a wet climate. It rains six months of the year. Needless to say, monsoon-like weather is not very motivating when it comes to running.

Ultimately, fitness and health is a choice. I choose to run because I enjoy it. I may forget that from time to time but over the years, my relationship with running has become clearer: we'll break up for awhile, but we always manage to get back together again.

My running shoes.  Most are retired, but I have a lot of them. 

I've decided to give running another go and have set a specific goal: to run five marathons before I turn 35 years old. I've run two already, and have three to go.  
Through this blog, I'll try and describe the experience I've had so far and chronicle the journey from this point on.

For the would-be runners out there, I'd like to be clear: however entertaining this blog may (or may not) become, I can assure you that this will not be a how-to on running. If you're interested in learning to run, I'd suggest finding a running clinic or joining a group in your local area versus listening to me.

For the experienced runners: hopefully you'll be able to relate to some of my experiences in running and share your own. I love hearing stories from those who have the miles under their feet.

I hope you enjoy reading. Thanks for being part of this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment