Monday, January 23, 2012

Crossfittin' It In

Busy schedules mean trade offs. I normally like to reserve my weekends for running but sometimes this doesn't always work out as planned.

This is the first time I've ever consciously worked to fit cross training into my schedule. As you know, I've been learning a lot from swim class (Lessons Part 1 and Lessons Part 2) and have been loving the time I've spent in the pool.

© Crossfit Westside
In October, I also decided to take up Crossfit. As described by Crossfit Westside in Vancouver, the workouts go something like this:
We take functional movements such as the squat, push up, pullup, deadlift, clean n jerk, running, rowing, skipping, and jumping, mix them up, and execute them in short intense workouts. Each workout has a different combination of exercises with varied repetitions, rounds, and time. 

I'm still relatively new to Crossfit, particularly as I'm only doing it once a week, so by no means do I feel I'm an expert on the subject. I will, however, say this: Crossfit is challenging as hell and in the best way possible. It's pushed me to try things I've never tried before, and motivated me to work harder than I've ever worked.  

But - back to trade offs.

Trying to fit in cross training is like trying to fit extra days into every week. I haven't quite figured it out but I'm determined to make it work because I'm finding it extremely valuable not just physically, but mentally as well. I suppose it's like being well read; if you read nothing but the same author or genre, you can never fully appreciate how interesting other works of writing can be. Taking up swimming and Crossfit has definitely opened me up to new and inspiring fitness challenges.

Sunday is typically the day most runners do their long runs. However, in the last month I've been caught twice leaving my once-a-week Crossfit workout to the weekend and have had to sacrifice either my long run or getting to the gym. If I'd only planned ahead and stuck to my schedule, I could have probably managed to accomplish both fairly easily instead of simply being optimistic that I'd be able to do it all and still have enough downtime to recharge from the work week.

The moral of the story: one plan that works is better than a hundred doubtful ones.  

And if I'd never read Aesop's Fables I wouldn't have known that one, either. More on planning to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment