Sunday, January 15, 2012

Have Hope, Yo!

Runners often get into the habit of running regular routes. From personal experience, for example, I can tell you that I've committed a minimum of five routes to memory based on distance and time which all start at my apartment.  

Last weekend, I ran a route I don't normally run. This is a good thing to do once in awhile, as it breaks up the regular running routine - particularly when things start to get a bit monotonous. On that route, I ran past a bus stop bench bearing the following graffiti:

"Have hope, yo!"

(I wish I'd stopped to take a picture. Guess I'll have to run it again so I can do just that.)

I'm thinking about that statement today as my motivation to work out severely wanes. Remember how I mentioned that the trick to getting out the door is to not think about it too much? Yeah ... well, it seems I'm a victim of my own making. That's what I get for thinking.

Pep talks are important. © 30 Rock

Running is about highs and lows. A great run one day might mean a crap one the next. Competing priorities sometimes mean a change in running schedule is in order. And sometimes, we just fail to get out there - period.

Many new or inexperienced (or even experienced!) runners can often feel discouraged by the lows but the key is to not feel too bad about these off-days. They happen - and they're normal. Focus on having a better day tomorrow and remember: running is supposed to be fun! We can't have fun or improve if we're too busy beating ourselves up about having a small setback.

Have hope, yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment