Thursday, May 24, 2012

On The 60-Day DL

As you know, I recently injured myself during training. I've started to think of myself as being on the DL ... that's disabled list, for you non-baseball fans. I'm no baseball expert but as far as I know, injured players can be placed on the disabled list for either 15 or 60 days. 

In my case, it's unfortunately starting to look like I'll be out for 60 days instead of 15.

I've been religiously doing the exercises I've been given at physio, but my last real run was May 14 - a fateful day, to be sure - which means I've been out 10 days. I tested my leg a few days ago on the treadmill, but my physiotherapist cautioned that if it started to feel any worse than a two out of 10 on the uncomfortable scale, I should cease activity; that didn't give me much to work with. I got off the treadmill after 15 minutes - most of which was spent walking, not running.

I was back at my sports medicine clinic for a check-up today and after a bit of poking and prodding, it's clear that my hamstring is still not happy. With only two weeks and two days to go until Edge to Edge, I can't help but think, I may not be able to run this thing.

The thought of not being able to run the race I trained for all spring is hugely disappointing, but I need to be realistic. I can barely run 15 minutes, let alone 42.2 km. And I certainly don't want to cause any further damage that could ruin any chance I have of running in the next few months.

My physiotherapist happens to be a sports nut himself. He's done a Half Ironman, a cycling tour from Vancouver to San Francisco (he and his friend averaged 100 km a day!) and was training to run the BMO Vancouver Marathon ... when he blew out his back in a snowboarding accident. Did he run the marathon? Hells, no. But - he will be doing Tough Mudder next month and I would bet anything that he'll sign up for the full at BMO again next spring.

So. I think there's a lesson to be learned here and I think it's something like this: "Those who choose to rest today, will race again another day."

More rehab updates to come. And I guess I'm going to have to start thinking (again!) about what races I want to run in order to achieve my Five by 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment