Monday, December 5, 2016

And Then... There Was Snow

Having grown up on the Canadian prairies, I’m no slouch when it comes to snow. I know how to drive in it, I know how to dress for it. I’ve played in it, shoveled it and scraped it off my car. 

Now that I live on the temperate west coast, I’ve adopted the mindset that snow is 100%, absolutely, completely and without question - overrated.

Today in Vancouver. Some think it's pretty. Me? Not so much. Video cred: Matthew Boulton.

I ran in the cold, prairie winter when I was a teenager and into my early 20s. Dressing to run in real winter is quite involved, as most of you living in places with four seasons will know. Layers, fleece, waterproof clothing, gloves, hats - all essential items when a runner has no choice but to brave the frigid weather.

But - I don’t have to run in this. One: I live on the west coast, where snow is a rarity. And two: I have access to a treadmill. 

Now, I’m not a big fan of the indoor running. Spending too much time on the treadmill has always made me feel a little like a hamster on a wheel. But given that the weather is supposed to stay this way for at least the next week, and my desire to avoid the snow as much as possible? Indoor running, it is! 

For those of you heading outside to run in the winter snow and cold: good on ya. You’re all my heroes. 

Me? I’m tapping out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment