Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Yin and Yang Of Running

Two weeks ago, I had an amazing long run.  I woke up, the sun was shining, I was totally pumped.  Ran my 23 km and it was great.

Last weekend's long run?  Not so much.  

One - I didn't get around to running on Sunday.  Not a huge deal; I ran on Monday after work instead.  (Truth be told, I was pretty hungover on Saturday and really didn't feel like doing anything the next day either.  But - that's just between us.  Don't go around telling everyone.)

Two - it was just, well ... bad.  On the schedule: 26 km.  I was exhausted and not feeling it, at all.  I nearly cried at about 13 km, and then again at 19 km.  It was all I could do to just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I don't think this kid had a very good day, either.

In running, there will be good days and, inevitably, bad ones too.  But as John Stanton of the Running Room says: "Runners are often limited more by their confidence than by their physical abilities."  

Keep on running!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you went to work all day and then ran a half marathon after! I'm amazed at how easily and quickly (although after Monday's run you may disagree with my perspective on things) you've picked it all up again. I don't know how you do it, you're amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! It definitely doesn't feel easy (especially on days like this one!) but having a goal to work towards definitely helps. Hopefully the next long run will be more fun!

    ReplyDelete