Friday, September 27, 2013

Here We Go...

It's race weekend! And after a terrible September plagued with illness, I am happy to report that I've recovered well enough and will be at the marathon start line on Sunday.

I'm a bit under trained, given that I didn't complete nearly as much mileage as I would have liked these past few weeks. But I'm hoping that the big mileage I ran last month will serve me in good stead. 

Epiphany: being ill while training for this marathon has made me appreciate the ability to run all the more. Out there today, I realized that being healthy makes such a world of difference. When I can't run because I'm injured or sick, I'm miserable. I'm certainly grateful that I have the opportunity to run this weekend - and I won't take it for granted because, who knows? There may well come a day when I can no longer do so. 

I leave you with this quote from John Stanton: "No time to run? Your mental attitude can be practiced at any time." I will therefore stay positive between now and Sunday, and really focus only on the things I was able to control these past few months in training. 

If you find yourself in Surrey on Sunday morning, come see me along the course or at the finish line. I'll be one of the stragglers bringing up the rear (happily!).

Course map
© 2012 Surrey Marathon


1 comment: