Friday, March 29, 2013

Hello, Spring!

© insidevancouver.ca
Spring is upon us on the west coast, which means warm weather, beautiful cherry blossoms, and brilliant sunshine. Being out there this morning made me realize I'll have to soon break out my short-sleeved shirts and running shorts ... amazing! Here's a round-up of what's been on my mind lately, running-wise.

Grad school is a problem
This is true for soooo many reasons, but the one I'm thinking about in particular relates to running. March was a true bust. I tried, but deadlines and meetings and assignments are really challenging to work around. And yes, I know I sound like a broken record. All I can say is, I'm looking forward to this term being over (less than three weeks to go)!

You know you're a long distance runner when ...
... it takes, at minimum, four kilometres before really being able to settle into a run. Even though I'm out of shape, and probably a little heavier than I should be at the moment (stupid grad school!), once I got past that minimum distance on this morning's run it was like my muscle memory just took over. Really looking forward to getting back to those Sunday long runs!

Lack of tracking
I haven't written much about this, but it's my personal opinion that it's very important to track everything you do when it comes to running. This includes keeping stock of your mileage, the days you ran, how you felt, what you ate; many people keep running journals for this very purpose. This helps to show you how you've improved over time - which is always a good thing! Another benefit to knowing how much you've run is to give you an indication of when you should be switching out of your old shoes into new ones. Admittedly, I've fallen short on my tracking duties as of late but being out there today reminded me of this. Note to self: upload Garmin data and update gear tracker!

This one is more for me, than you
I've recently been telling people that I'm younger than I am - and not even on purpose! Oops. But when I realized how old I really am, it was an eye-opener that I don't have much time to complete my Five by 35. So just as a reminder (for me, mostly): I am currently 33 years old, turning 34 in October. There. Glad that's sorted.

Update: Number 4
Speaking of Five by 35, thanks to the (very few ... sad face!) people who voted on the poll regarding which marathon I should run this year. I think I've made a decision ... but I'm going to keep it under wraps for now. More on this later.

Happy Easter everyone!

Bunny nuzzle ... or alternatively, bunuzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment