Sunday, December 4, 2016

[Christmas] Weekends are for [Sleeping Off Hangovers, but then] Running

"Weekends are for running." This was my mantra for the first four marathons, and it is quickly making a comeback in the way I view my life and schedule.

Weekends during Christmas, however, are a whole other story. I love getting together with friends, enjoying all the food and, especially, heading to fancy holiday parties like the one I attended on Friday night. Everyone was in their finery, plates were piled high with deliciousness, and my wine cup runneth over. 

Hence, I spent all day yesterday sleeping off a hangover and desperately trying to rehydrate, knowing I was putting my running shoes on again today. 

But, hey - I knew it was all coming. Mentally, I was totally prepared. And today's run turned out alright. 

Today's run: 10.5 km run/walk. My first 10 km in a very long time, but with the distance getting pushed out a little due to an unexpected construction detour. Weather: sunshine. Cold. Brilliant. Feeling: still good. Worried it'll all go to hell soon but trying to not think about that too much.

A note on Christmas and feeling bad about the excess to inevitably come: I was rewatching Eat Pray Love recently, and one line in particular stuck with me. The main character and author of the story, Elizabeth Gilbert, says this: 
I am so tired of saying no, waking up in the morning and recalling every single thing I ate the day before, counting every calorie I consumed so I know just how much self loathing to take into the shower. I'm going for it. I have no interest in being obese, I'm just through with the guilt.
As a woman in my late(ish) 30s, I'd like to be able to say I have positive, self-affirming thoughts about my body image. But I can't because it's just not true - well, not always, anyway. And I know I'm not alone. I like what Liz says above. It's hard to remember sometimes, but I'm going to try, especially with heading full steam into Christmas season. I love Christmas so I'm going to enjoy myself and not feel guilty about it!


Neil Young's Heart of Gold makes an appearance on the Eat Pray Love soundtrack. As it's a great, classic song and has been a bit of an earwig for me recently, it's making an appearance here, as well. Do you know the lyrics? If not, you should. Look them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment