Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lesson Learned: Some People Really Are Twats

If you've been paying close attention, I've mentioned once or twice that I'm heading back to school in the fall to pursue a Master's Degree in Public Policy. This was a big decision for me to make as it involves quite a large investment: my time, a leave from work for the next two years, going back to a student lifestyle - not to mention the financial cost itself.

An acquaintance was asking me about the program yesterday, so I explained that much of it deals with research and the development of policy. Her response:

"You know everything they teach you is going to be bullshit, right?"

My response: stunned silence.

I mean, what was I supposed to say? "Oh, you're right. My life choices are stupid. I'll just quit right now!"

I reflect on this at the same time I'm trying to make a final decision whether to run in this weekend's Marathon by the Sea in Saint John, New Brunswick. I'm realizing there are a lot of parallels and plenty of reasons to not do either.

I'm not sure if I'm prepared. 

I'm scared to try. 

What if I fail?

It is always easier to say "no" to the hard things and make excuses instead. And there will always be people that can make us forget why we've chosen the paths we have. 

In the end, none of that matters. The only thing that does, is remembering our own reasons for choosing a particular direction and pursuing those dreams with gusto and enthusiasm. Otherwise ... what is the point of it all? 

My final words on the subject: live your life. Dream big. To hell with everyone else.


Grateful for a new day.

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention completely untrue. It's cheap to piss on other people's plans and dreams.

    It reminds me (in a tiny way) of when I decided to run the Sun Run and people kept telling me how crowded and silly it was. But I wanted to be part of a large community experience, and I had a great time. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete